“Act as if you already have coronavirus” so that you behave carefully, not infecting others.
New Zealanders, refer to: https://covid19.govt.nz/
The purpose of my blog is to post articles about alternative treatments, so I share here some tips and strategies that might help. (* these strategies may not cure, but they could become the difference between turning a mild case into a serious one). But it will be an individual choice whether you take up this advice as herbal and natural remedies cannot be scientifically proven.
Firstly I discuss here some latest advice received from a social media poster, a recording from Spain / Ireland, and China, from hospital staff doctors. I am sorry that I cannot quote the writer as the name was not given.
These are the points they made:
1. You should “decontaminate your clothes, hair, purchases, and disinfect house surfaces after going out each time, because the virus attaches to hair and clothes and remains live on surfaces for many hours, some surfaces for MANY days:”
2. In autopsies of the coronavirus victims in China, they found solidified mucus blocking all their airways. This is why so many people end up on ventilators because they can’t breathe.
3. Clear mucus early, while it is still in the nose and throat. The virus sits in the throat or sinuses for 3 days, before it works its way to the lungs. They say you should try to flush out the virus at this time, by drinking warm or hot fluid, and moisten the nose mucus to clear it out.
Moisten Dryness and Transform Phlegm.
The Importance of the Mucous Membranes in Our Airways
In order for any virus to infect the throat, sinuses, airways or lungs it must first pass through or enter the body through the mucous membrane. It is the first barrier to infection; the immune system is the second line of defence. There are two routes for COVID-19 to enter the lungs and cause serious damage. The primary route is through the respiratory tract, the other is through the gastrointestinal tract.
Water is critical to the health of the mucous membranes.
- Use your dehumidifier if you have one.
- Take saunas or a Facial Sauna/ Facial Steamer to clear mucus from the nasal passages. Facial sauna/steamers, work directly by cleansing the skin and mucous membranes.
- Or fill a bowl of boiling water and inhale, with a towel over your head.
- Take well-known immunity booster supplements, Vitamin C and Zinc
- Herbal teas and tonics etc as a preventative. (see my recommended links)
For some people, natural remedies have been found to shorten or lessen the intensity of colds, even though they might not entirely cure.
Whether symptoms are nil or mild, we should be doing all we can to build our health and immunity up, to ward off what we can.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear gloves and mask when out shopping if you have a suspicion you have the virus.
- Or if you don’t have gloves or masks, nor any suspicions, practice these following careful decontamination steps as per advised by the doctors:
- After coming home, don’t sit down and start touching things in your house – clean yourself, and your clothes first. Don’t walk in the house with your shoes on. Leave your shoes in a separate room to the main house. Put all your clothes into the wash. Then have a shower. Wash hair. Dress in clean clothes you know are not contaminated. Disinfect surfaces, everything you have touched; and wipe down all your purchases, carry bags, handbag and wallet, money, and home surfaces daily, even front door handles, car doors, steering wheel, then wash your hands again thoroughly.
See the Green Goddess website for protective herbal teas.
HERBAL TEAS TO HELP DISLODGE MUCUS
Green Goddess writes about Marshmallow Root Tea (Althea officinalis). We drink this healing tea every day and have now added Liquorice Root, Mullein and Fenugreek to our tea cupboard.
These teas are important at this time as they help to dislodge dry mucus at an early stage. Once you have a thinner, looser mucus it is much easier to remove it by coughing. This selection of teas once steeped create mucilage which helps to do this.